Current:Home > FinanceTrendPulse|2 more Connecticut officers fired after man became paralyzed in police van -Capitatum
TrendPulse|2 more Connecticut officers fired after man became paralyzed in police van
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 14:45:58
Two more police officers have TrendPulsebeen fired in connection with a June 2022 arrest in New Haven, Connecticut, in which a man became paralyzed after getting injured in the back of a speeding police van. A total of four officers have now been fired in the wake of the incident.
The New Haven Board of Police Commissioners voted Wednesday to terminate Officer Oscar Diaz, who was driving the van, and Sgt. Betsy Segui, the city said in a news release.
Earlier this month, the board also voted to fire officers Jocelyn Lavandier and Luis Rivera.
All four had been suspended since last summer, and the firings were recommended by the New Haven Police Chief Karl Jacobson, the city said. A fifth officer who was suspended for the incident, Ronald Pressley, retired in January, according to the New Haven Register.
All five were criminally charged last November with second-degree reckless endangerment.
On June 19, 2022, Randy Cox was arrested at a New Haven block party after officers responded to a weapons complaint. Police at the time said Cox, an ex-felon, was carrying a firearm illegally.
Cox was placed in the back of a police van being driven by Diaz, police said. The van was speeding when Diaz came to a sudden stop to avoid a collision with another vehicle, causing Cox — who was not wearing a seatbelt — to hit his head and injure his neck.
Cox wound up being paralyzed from the chest down.
Portions of the incident were captured on police bodycam video. Cox, unable to move, can be heard repeatedly asking for help as officers disregard his injuries. He was processed and dragged into a cell before officers finally called for an ambulance.
"Mr. Cox was mistreated," Jacobson, then the New Haven assistant police chief, said last June. "He should've received medical attention immediately. We can't defend anything that was released."
Earlier this month, the city of New Haven reached a $45 million misconduct settlement with Cox.
New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker said Wednesday in a statement that the board's decisions to fire all four officers were "important and necessary steps towards ensuring accountability for the mistreatment of Randy Cox while he was in their custody and care."
- In:
- Police Officers
- Connecticut
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Auburn guard Chad Baker-Mazara ejected early for flagrant-2 foul vs. Yale
- Man pleads guilty to using sewer pipes to smuggle people between Mexico and U.S.
- Nearly 8 in 10 AAPI adults in the US think abortion should be legal, an AP-NORC poll finds
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- These Teeth Whitening Deals from Amazon's Spring Sale Will Make You Smile Nonstop
- Shop Amazon's Big Sale for Clothing Basics That Everyone Needs in Their Wardrobe STAT
- Men's March Madness live updates: JMU upsets Wisconsin; TCU-Utah State battling
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Democratic state senator files paperwork for North Dakota gubernatorial bid
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Why Kate Middleton Decided to Share Her Cancer Diagnosis
- 5 bodies found piled in bulletproof SUV in Mexico, 7 others discovered near U.S. border
- Republican lawmaker says Kentucky’s newly passed shield bill protects IVF services
- Bodycam footage shows high
- California work safety board approves indoor heat rules, but another state agency raises objections
- Memorial at site of deadliest landslide in US history opens on 10th anniversary
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Wish Health and Healing for Kate Middleton Following Cancer Diagnosis
Recommendation
Bodycam footage shows high
Polyamory is attracting more and more practitioners. Why? | The Excerpt
Princess Kate announces she has cancer in video message. What's next for the royal family?
Kristin Cavallari’s Boyfriend Mark Estes Responds to Criticism Over Their 13-Year Age Gap
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Duke does enough to avoid March Madness upset, but Blue Devils know they must be better
Russia attacks Ukraine's capital with missiles after Putin's threat to respond in kind to strikes in Russia
California’s unemployment rate is the highest in the nation. Slower job growth is to blame